SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 15, 2019
The BTES believes in the importance of developing professionally prepared and socially responsible students. Effective education relies in part, on engaging and informative source materials—specifically, books on building technology topics.
The BTES Book Award recognizes an outstanding new book on the topic of building technologies that significantly contributes to building technology education in architecture. The prize will be a $1,000 award stipend to help cover travel and lodging for attending the 2019 BTES conference in Amherst, MA as well as free registration.
The award will recognize books that have, and will make a significant contribution to the field of building technology and/or building technology education in architecture. The jury seeks interesting and informative submissions that clearly and effectively communicate building technology issues for architecture and engineering professionals, scholars, and students.
The winning submission must demonstrate a scholarly level of professional expertise and insight, an innovative and thought-provoking approach to understanding building technology issues, a relevance of the content that shows impact and influence, and an effective level of communication strategies that clearly addresses the intended audience.
Eligible titles may take a variety of approaches to the subject as long as they are about building technology in architecture and/or architectural education. They may be books, textbooks or other scholarly work on structures, environmental forces or systems, materials or assembly, fabrication, historical or contemporary case studies of building technology issues, reflections on critical thinking in building technology practice or education. Edited volumes featuring a compilation of essays from a various of authors are eligible if submitted by the editor(s). Current BTES Board members or Officers are not eligible for this award.
Eligible Authors and Editors must:
- Be due-paying BTES members at the time of submission (new members may sign-up at any time before the submission deadline).
- Authors of any nationality are eligible, and their books can originally have been published in any language provided that they are also published in English.
- Authors may enter multiple different books as long as the book eligibility criteria are met.
- Address an audience of scholars, educators, practitioners, or students to educate the audience about building technology issues.
- Be published in English between: January 1, 2015- December 31, 2018.
- Be hardback, paperback, or e-book format.
To enter, please submit a brief cover letter declaring your intent to submit the book for the award by March 15, 2019 along with a statement confirming compliance to contact.BTES@gmail.com with the subject “BTES Book Award.” The jury chair will follow up with all submitters to determine the best way for the jury to access the book content, whether via secure electronic file or hard copy.